Zurich picture moments
A beautiful view over town with the Albiskette and lake Zurich in the background, the University of Zurich and Swiss Federal Insitute of Technology (ETH) main buildings and many different University Hospital buildings in the foreground.
The yellow building with the round tower is Zurich’s old Swiss National observatory. The new one is the Urania Sternwarte, which offers guided tours.
How can one not be in love with this town when looking at this?
Event Tip: Park(ing) Day 2014
Park(ing) day is an annual worldwide event where artists, designers and citizens transform metered parking spots into temporary public parks.
The environmental organisation umverkehR is bringing it to Zurich to campaign for more green areas within town: on Friday 19 September parking spaces around Bullingerplatz are converted into stages, bars or restaurants. The Mobile Küche is cooking delicious vegetarian dishes, The Well are playing and you’re welcome to enjoy both on – of course – parking spaces!
Check out the website of umverkehR on Friday 19th to find out which spots exactly you should be looking for on Friday evening after 7pm.
You’re still not convinced? Look at these pictures of former parking days around the world and you will be!
Yeahhh: calligraphy workshop by KUCHENnina
The lovely Nina of KUCHENnina likes handwritten letters and cards, but she also knows that there is more to beautiful handwriting than pen and paper. So she decided quickly to launch a calligraphy workshop!
It will be held by the professional calligraphist Mustafa Ruckstuhl and take place at Affaire 46 in Niederdorf. If you want to upgrade your handwriting and learn more about this traditional art form, don’t hesitate and sign up for one of the two workshops! More info on Ninas blog nimmplatz.ch.
Zurich picture moments
What could be better than starting the day with a hearty brunch?!
This picture was taken at Maison Blunt. Check their newest branch, Café Bebek (at Badenerstrasse 171), or have a look at other brunch places we like here.
Can you give me some idea of things to do in September? Looks like I will be here the month.
Lucky you, Sandy, there is lots going on in September, it’s a good month to be in Zurich! A choice on other September things to do:
1. Circus Monti is in town! Until September 21, the Swiss Circus Monti is performing their 30th anniversary show on the Sechseläutenplatz. As every year, the company of artists know how to fascinate their audience.
2. If you are interested into Geology or more specific, earthquakes, then stroll through the anniversary exhibition of the Swiss Seismological Service and learn lots about earthquakes in Switzerland.
3. The ghost walk tours through Zurich are highly recommended – as people told as. If you want to know Zurich’s dark side, join one of the ghost walks.
4. Time for drama: the new season at our favourite and one of the most important theatres in the German-speaking world, the Schauspielhaus Zürich starts now. At Pfauen, they perform more traditional and well-known classics whilst at their other venue Schiffbau, you can enjoy rather new and debut performances.
5. Go watch a movie at the brand new cinema Houdini at Kalkbreite. Have a cocktail at one of these bars afterwards.
6. With the nice and warm autumn sun, you might also want to stay outside, have a coffee somewhere (Kafi Dihei; best coffee in town) or do a walking tour up to Üetliberg. Or how about enjoying this view?
7. Last but not least, something to make freestyle sport lovers happy: on the last weekend in September, freestyle.ch will be the place to watch spectacular freestyle action. But more about that later on.